Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

Why do I need a utility bill or proof of address?

At, we’re often asked: “What kind of documents do you need to scrap a car?” – and while the V5C document is an important part of keeping DVLA records up to date; it’s also essential that you can provide proof of your address.

Here, we’ll explain exactly why you need to provide your address – and which documents you can use to do so. 

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013

In 2013, the government revised the law surrounding the handling of scrap metal. As well as outlining the requirement for scrap yards to hold the relevant licence to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer, the act also detailed specific requirements relating to the collection of scrap metal.

Section 11 of the act relates to verification of the scrap metal supplier’s identity – and in the case of scrapping a car, this would be you or the person you’ve nominated to be with your car when it’s collected.

For the scrap metal dealer, failure to obtain this proof of address could result in a fine of up to £1,000 – and repeat offences could lead to their licence to trade as a scrap metal dealer being taken away. 

Protecting you

Although some scrap car services consider the requirement for a customer to provide proof of identity or address an inconvenience – we think it’s an important part of making sure you’re protected when you scrap your car.

At, we only deal with government accredited Authorised Treatment Facilities – so you can be sure that you’ll get the best price for your car and feel confident that all the paperwork is handled correctly. Dealing with authorised facilities protects you from facing any problems that could arise if your car isn’t appropriately processed by the scrap yard who collects it. 

With the correct paper trail in place, you can be sure that there’s a record of who scrapped your car, who handed it over, how much was paid – and to whom that money was paid. 

How to prove your address

The person collecting your car will need to see one of the following documents to be able to accept your scrap car.

•    A bank or building society statement
•    A credit or debit card statement
•    A council tax statement 
•    A utility bill – gas, electricity or water bills are ideal

It’s also important to ensure that the bill is dated within the last 3 months – so our collection partner knows they’re working with the most up to date information. 

Don’t worry – the person who collects your car won’t need to take your proof of address documents away with them, they’ll simply need to see them – or take a scanned/digital copy.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

It’s your legal responsibility to let the DVLA know you’re selling your car for scrap. The easiest way to do this is by using Section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) – which your collection driver will be happy to help with.

To scrap your car, you’ll need to provide photo ID and proof of address. While not essential, if you have your V5C registration document, this may simplify the process.

You should use the registration document to let the DVLA know you’ve sold your car to a dismantler. You can do this by completing and returning section 9 of the form – or, on V5Cs issued after April 2019; section 4.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.

A waste carrier’s licence is a registration you need if you move any kind of waste product – scrap cars included. At, each of our partner dismantlers appears on this register, so you can be confident your vehicle will be handled in line with Environment Agency standards.

If you’ve lost your V5 registration document, sometimes referred to as a title, you can still sell your car for scrap, but you’ll need to inform the DVLA by post after your car’s been successfully scrapped with certain details of the transaction. A useful letter template is available by contacting us.

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.