Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

What documents do I need to scrap my car?

If you’ve made the decision to dispose of your vehicle, you might be asking the question ‘what documents do I need to scrap my car?’ Some paperwork, like proof of where you live, is essential - whereas other documents such as logbooks are optional, so read on for all the information you require to scrap your car.

Photo identification and proof of address

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 demands that any individual scrapping their vehicle must provide the authorised treatment facility (ATF) with an up to date photo ID such as a valid passport or driving licence. They must also supply proof of address, for example a recent utility bill.

This legislation was specifically designed to hinder auto-related crime and dishonest dealings taking place at scrap yards. It’s important to ensure that you use a reputable scrap dealer - and this is not only to receive a fair price for your car. Copies of your personal documents will be held on file by the ATF for a period of three years, so you’ll want to feel secure in the knowledge that your details are in safe hands.

V5 registration document

Sometimes called a logbook, the V5C registration document is commonly supplied by car owners scrapping their vehicles. It can facilitate the process of letting the DVLA know you’ve scrapped your car. However, it’s not essential. If you’ve lost your V5 certificate and would like to replace it, you can do so by applying to the DVLA, which will send you out a new one for a fee of £25.

You don’t need your logbook to alert the DVLA that your car has been scrapped, but you’ll need to send them a letter by post with certain information. The agency will need to know that your car has been scrapped, along with its registration, make and model. You must also give the agency the exact date the scrapping took place, plus the name and address of the scrapyard that handled the work. Failure to include any of these details can result in your application being rejected by the DVLA, which can then lead to fines of up to £1,000 if left uncorrected.

Be mindful when scrapping your car that the ATF does not subtract £25 from your fee because you don’t possess a V5 registration document. This is a tactic used to pay you less for your scrap car, so remember this document isn’t necessary.

Certificate of Destruction

When your car has been successfully scrapped, the ATF will send you a Certificate of Destruction (COD) by post. You’ll receive it within seven days of scrapping, proving your vehicle has been disposed of. Only an ATF can issue this type of document.

Proof of vehicle purchase

There are rare circumstances when you may be required to provide your original proof of purchase for the vehicle. If you’re unable to supply a V5 registration document and you don’t possess your car’s keys, the scrap dealer may require additional proof that you’re the owner of the car. At this point they may request the original bill of sale for the vehicle. If there’s any doubt about you being the car’s owner, sometimes an HPI check will be carried out. This is a complete vehicle history check which can uncover if a car has finance agreements attached to it, been written off or even stolen. There will typically be a charge if this is necessary.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

If you’ve lost your V5 registration document, sometimes referred to as a title, you can still sell your car for scrap, but you’ll need to inform the DVLA by post after your car’s been successfully scrapped with certain details of the transaction. A useful letter template is available by contacting us.

You should use the registration document to let the DVLA know you’ve sold your car to a dismantler. You can do this by completing and returning section 9 of the form – or, on V5Cs issued after April 2019; section 4.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.

A waste carrier’s licence is a registration you need if you move any kind of waste product – scrap cars included. At, each of our partner dismantlers appears on this register, so you can be confident your vehicle will be handled in line with Environment Agency standards.

It’s your legal responsibility to let the DVLA know you’re selling your car for scrap. The easiest way to do this is by using Section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) – which your collection driver will be happy to help with.

As part of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement for a scrap metal dealer to verify the full name and address of someone who is handing scrap metal over to them.