Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

Do I need to fill any documents in when scrapping?

As the current registered keeper or owner of the vehicle, it’s your legal responsibility to inform the DVLA that the car is being transferred to a trader or dismantler. The quickest and simplest way to do this is using section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019). 

On this tear-out section of the log book, you’ll need to complete the date of the sale along with the name and address of the dismantler who collects your car. Don’t worry if you’re not 100% sure of these details – the collection driver will be happy to help. 

When complete, you’ll need to detach the slip from the rest of the V5C – and post it to the DVLA address you’ll find on the rear. The person recovering your car will take the remainder of the form with them.

What happens if I can’t find the V5C form?

Strictly speaking, you don’t have to use the V5C document to inform the DVLA that you’re selling the car – you can write a letter or, if you happen to have the 11-digit reference number from your V5C, complete the form online instead. 

Sending a letter confirming the sale of your car

If you decide to send a letter, you’ll need to make sure that you include all the details the DVLA will need to know, including:

•    Your name and address details
•    The vehicle’s registration number
•    The date of the sale
•    The name, address, and VAT number of the scrap yard buying your car

Since you’ll probably need some details from the trader who is buying your car, it’s sometimes worth completing this letter in advance – before adding the scrap yard details at the point of collection.

When complete, you should send your letter to:

SA99 1BD

Confirming the sale of your vehicle online

If you have the 11 digit reference number from your lost V5C document, you’ll be able to tell the DVLA that you’re scrapping your car using their online service. You cannot use this service if you’ve already returned your V5C by post – and you should note that it’s only available from 7am to 7pm.

What happens if you don’t complete the necessary documents when you scrap your car?

As a driver or vehicle owner, you have a legal responsibility to inform the DVLA of any changes to your car’s ownership. If you don’t, you could be subject to a fine of up to £1,000.

As well as a penalty for not helping the DVLA keep their records up to date, you may also find yourself running into issues relating to taxing and insuring the car – even if it’s been scrapped. Many of the DVLA’s systems run automatically, so, if you haven’t informed the DVLA that your car has been sold to a dismantler, further automatic fines can be issued if the system picks up on lapsed tax or insurance. While this is unlikely, it’s not impossible – so it’s far better to be safe than sorry.

If you have any doubt about the paperwork that needs to be completed, your recovery driver will be happy to assist.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

A waste carrier’s licence is a registration you need if you move any kind of waste product – scrap cars included. At, each of our partner dismantlers appears on this register, so you can be confident your vehicle will be handled in line with Environment Agency standards.

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.

As part of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement for a scrap metal dealer to verify the full name and address of someone who is handing scrap metal over to them.

To scrap your car, you’ll need to provide photo ID and proof of address. While not essential, if you have your V5C registration document, this may simplify the process.

You should use the registration document to let the DVLA know you’ve sold your car to a dismantler. You can do this by completing and returning section 9 of the form – or, on V5Cs issued after April 2019; section 4.

If you’ve lost your V5 registration document, sometimes referred to as a title, you can still sell your car for scrap, but you’ll need to inform the DVLA by post after your car’s been successfully scrapped with certain details of the transaction. A useful letter template is available by contacting us.