Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

Can I scrap my car without a title?

Before modernisation, a car’s title documentation was known as the logbook. Today it’s usually referred to as a V5 document, but the term ‘logbook’ is still sometimes used to refer to this official registration document for vehicles issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

The V5 registration document

If you’ve lost your V5 logbook and need to dispose of your car, you might be wondering ‘can I scrap my car without a title?’ UK law states that you don’t require a V5 registration document for the car you are planning to scrap. While it’s not essential, it can be a slightly smoother process to scrap your vehicle if you possess your V5 logbook. You can opt to scrap your car without a logbook or apply for a replacement from the DVLA for a £25 fee and then scrap the vehicle.

Although uncommon today, some scrap yards will insist you supply a V5 registration document or logbook before disposing of your vehicle. Pressure put on these dealers by authorities to help hinder auto-related crime can cause them to ask for further authentication. If you should find yourself in this circumstance, you can either pick a different scrap yard or apply to the DVLA for a new V5 logbook.

It’s not likely that you’ll face this situation nowadays. The Scrap Metal Dealers Act of 2013 demands that all authorised treatment facilities (ATFs) must collect proof of address and photo ID from those seeking to scrap their cars before carrying out destruction. Safe in the knowledge they can track their customers if needed, ATFs are usually satisfied to scrap cars without a V5 supplied.

Be wary when scrapping a car without a title that you aren’t taken in by a trick used by unscrupulous scrap dealers. If they claim there’s a charge for scrapping without a V5 certificate, always refute this as it’s not true and completely unnecessary.

Proof of address and photo identification

While you won’t need a title or logbook to scrap your car, you will need to provide proof of your identity. The law insists you provide the ATF that’s scrapping your car with up to date photo identification like a valid driver’s licence or passport. You must also give them proof of your address, such as a recent household bill.

Copies of these personal documents will be kept on record by the scrap dealer for a period of three years, so make sure you choose a reputable ATF that you can trust; you’ll want to know your details are in safe hands.

Informing the DVLA

You need to inform the DVLA that your car has been disposed of. As you aren’t in possession of a title or logbook, you must inform the DVLA in writing and send them the required information by post.

The agency will need your personal details, along with the details of your vehicle including its registration number, make and model. They’ll also need to know the name and address of the scrap yard and the exact date that the disposal took place on.

Failure to miss any of these details from your application could cause it to be rejected by the DVLA, meaning you’ll still be registered as the keeper of a car that doesn’t exist. Failure to notify the DVLA correctly can incur fines of up to £1,000.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

You should use the registration document to let the DVLA know you’ve sold your car to a dismantler. You can do this by completing and returning section 9 of the form – or, on V5Cs issued after April 2019; section 4.

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.

As part of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement for a scrap metal dealer to verify the full name and address of someone who is handing scrap metal over to them.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.

A waste carrier’s licence is a registration you need if you move any kind of waste product – scrap cars included. At, each of our partner dismantlers appears on this register, so you can be confident your vehicle will be handled in line with Environment Agency standards.

It’s your legal responsibility to let the DVLA know you’re selling your car for scrap. The easiest way to do this is by using Section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) – which your collection driver will be happy to help with.

To scrap your car, you’ll need to provide photo ID and proof of address. While not essential, if you have your V5C registration document, this may simplify the process.