Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

What is a waste carrier’s licence?

A waste carrier licence – sometimes known as a ‘waste carrying licence’ or ‘waste transfer licence’ is an accreditation required by the Environment Agency that confirms a business can do any of the following:

  • Transport waste
  • Buy, sell or dispose of waste
  • Arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste

Officially, a scrap car does not become waste until the dismantler begins the destruction process – but, since every part of your old or accident damaged car will be either recycled or become waste, we make sure that every one of our partner scrap yards has an Environment Agency Waste Carrier’s Licence.  

Most of your car will be recycled

While many people assume that scrap cars are crushed then buried in landfill, this is simply no longer the case. In 2015, the End of Life Vehicle Directive was amended to make it legislation that 95% of a vehicle has to be recycled when it is scrapped. As such, virtually every part of your car will go through complex treatment processes to create materials that can be re-used. 

What can be recycled?

It’s probably no surprise to discover that the steel recovered from a scrap car can be recycled; but there are plenty of other materials that can be recovered and recycled from your car, including:

  • Tyres
  • Windscreen and windows
  • Hoses and belts
  • Transmission and gearbox materials
  • Seats, mats, and fabrics
  • Oil, air, and fuel filters
  • Radiators
  • Batteries

So, while most of your car will go on to become other products, there is still an element of waste that is created, oils and lubricants for instance – and this waste needs to be handled correctly. 

Why is a waste carrier’s licence important?

The Environment Agency’s waste carrier registration scheme is important – not just for the motor industry, but to ensure that all waste is handled correctly by those who carry it.

In much the same way that individuals have a responsibility to recycle their domestic waste where possible, you have a similar responsibility around the disposal of larger items – cars included. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, you must take reasonable steps to ensure your vehicle is handled in a way that will not damage the environment. The very best way to ensure this is to make sure the scrap yard dismantling your car has a waste carrier licence – or, better yet; let us check for you.

When you choose to find an unbeatable price for your scrap car, you can be confident that each of our scrap partners has the necessary Environment Agency waste carrier accreditations to handle your car in a way that’s good for the environment and follows the law.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

To scrap your car, you’ll need to provide photo ID and proof of address. While not essential, if you have your V5C registration document, this may simplify the process.

It’s your legal responsibility to let the DVLA know you’re selling your car for scrap. The easiest way to do this is by using Section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) – which your collection driver will be happy to help with.

If you’ve lost your V5 registration document, sometimes referred to as a title, you can still sell your car for scrap, but you’ll need to inform the DVLA by post after your car’s been successfully scrapped with certain details of the transaction. A useful letter template is available by contacting us.

You should use the registration document to let the DVLA know you’ve sold your car to a dismantler. You can do this by completing and returning section 9 of the form – or, on V5Cs issued after April 2019; section 4.

As part of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement for a scrap metal dealer to verify the full name and address of someone who is handing scrap metal over to them.

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.