Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best offers in the area.


COVID 19: Sell your car 100% online and contact free. Safe collections from your home

What do I do with the V5C log book?

Since scrapping a car is something people tend to do very rarely, it’s normal to have a number of questions. The most common query we receive from customers is: “What do I do with the V5C when I scrap my car?” 

Here, we’ll explain what the V5C is, how scrapping a car relates to the V5 logbook document, and how to scrap your car/vehicle without a V5 log book.

What is the V5 document?

The V5C document is also known as a log book, V5, or registration document – it’s the multi-coloured A4 sized document that details a car’s registered keeper, their address, and some details about the vehicle – including the make, model, colour, registration mark, and when it was first registered.

The V5C is an official document that’s issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) – and it’s the vehicle’s registered keeper’s responsibility to return appropriate sections of the V5C to the DVLA to keep them updated with changes to the vehicle or its ownership. 

Completing your V5C log book when you scrap your car

To make sure full responsibility for the vehicle is transferred to the scrap partner who collects your car, you will need to complete section 9 of the V5C document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) before sending it to the DVLA.

You should fill out the date of the transfer and details of the scrap yard buying your car. You’ll then need to sign the slip – and get the collection driver to sign for the scrap yard too.

As the registered keeper or owner of the car, it’s your responsibility to do this – but the person collecting your car will be happy to help. When complete, you should return the slip to the DVLA at address on the rear of the form – and the person who’s recovering your car will take the remainder of the log book with them.

Do I need a log book to scrap a car? 

A lot of people ask, “Can I scrap a car without a log book?” The answer? Yes! While the logbook makes the process slightly easier, a lost V5 doesn’t make scrapping your car difficult.

We have a full page dedicated to scrapping a car without a V5 – but quite simply, if you want to scrap your car without the logbook, you just need to send the DVLA a letter including the same details they would normally take from section 9 of the V5C (or section 4 on newer documents). The details you need to include in your letter are:

•    Your name and address details
•    The vehicle’s registration number
•    The date of the sale
•    The name, address, and VAT number of the scrap yard buying your car

It’s a good idea to write a letter before collection – leaving space for the person who’s collecting your car to complete their details. Don’t worry if you don’t though – we can provide you with details of the scrap yard you’ve dealt with if you write your letter after collection. When complete, this letter should be sent to:

SA99 1BD

Alternatively, If you happen to have recorded the 11-digit reference number from the front of your V5C, you can let the DVLA know using their dedicated online service between 7am and 7pm daily.

What happens if I don’t return the V5C to the DVLA?

It’s important that the DVLA have the most up to date details for the person who’s responsible for each vehicle on UK roads. Without these details, there can be mix-ups and misunderstandings – especially when trying to decide who is responsible for other legal matters relating to the car; especially road tax.

If you fail to update the DVLA when your car is sold, they may still hold you responsible for any gaps in tax – as well as any issues relating to the disposal of the car. In some cases, these issues can lead to large fines – so it’s worth making sure a fully completed section 9 (or section 4 on newer documents) of the log book is returned promptly. 

Will a missing log book impact the price I’m offered?

Although you might find some other scrapping services suggest that a missing log book will reduce the price you’re offered, this simply is not true when you use People can be a little uncertain around the paperwork procedures involved with scrapping a car – but you can be confident that the DVLA do not need the log book if you can provide an alternative. 

As such, any scrap service that suggests you need to pay the £25 log book replacement fee is either slightly misinformed – or they’re trying to reduce the price you’re offered! 

At, we don’t just make sure you get a great price – we make sure scrapping a car is simple and stress-free – even if you don’t have your V5C logbook.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is a document confirming your car has been disposed of. The certificate is created by the DVLA and sent to the scrap yard that dismantles a vehicle. If you require a COD for your car for insurance or other purposes it is important to request this at time of booking as, even though your car has reached the end of it’s life with you, some of our specialist salvage partners may repurpose your old car via repairing or transplanting it and put it back on the road.

To scrap your car, you’ll need to provide photo ID and proof of address. While not essential, if you have your V5C registration document, this may simplify the process.

As part of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, it is a legal requirement for a scrap metal dealer to verify the full name and address of someone who is handing scrap metal over to them.

That’s okay if you don't have your V5C; we can scrap your vehicle without it. However, the person who collects your car will need to see proof of ID and address – and you’ll need to make sure you inform the DVLA that your car has been transferred.

If you’ve lost your V5 registration document, sometimes referred to as a title, you can still sell your car for scrap, but you’ll need to inform the DVLA by post after your car’s been successfully scrapped with certain details of the transaction. A useful letter template is available by contacting us.

A waste carrier’s licence is a registration you need if you move any kind of waste product – scrap cars included. At, each of our partner dismantlers appears on this register, so you can be confident your vehicle will be handled in line with Environment Agency standards.

It’s your legal responsibility to let the DVLA know you’re selling your car for scrap. The easiest way to do this is by using Section 9 of the V5C log book document (or section 4 on V5Cs issued after April 2019) – which your collection driver will be happy to help with.