Enter your registration & postcode to get an instant quote

Scrapping a car doesn’t have to be hard work! Our UK-wide network of scrap partners and specialist dismantlers means we make it easy to find the very best prices.


Can someone else scrap my car?

Although you can scrap your car yourself when you feel it’s the right time, it’s sometimes easier and more convenient to ask someone else to do this for you. If your car has a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), then it’s important for the ATF to pick the car up as it’s against the law for you or someone else to drive a car that’s been declared ‘off the road’, even if it’s to an authorised treatment facility. So the ATF must legally remove any SORN vehicle by means of towing or lifting it.

What you need to do

If someone else were to scrap your vehicle, they’d need to have the car’s logbook or V5C, which they’d then take to the ATF. You’ll need to give them this. Section Five is the part that must be completed by you and the AFT; once completed, the ATF will send this to the DVLA. You’ll also need to inform the DVLA that you’ve arranged for your car to be scrapped at the ATF. If you fail to inform the DVLA, you might be fined up to £1000.

What the other person should do

If someone else is scrapping your car for you, they should shop around to get the best deal for your car. They’ll need to arrange to pick up your vehicle for you at a convenient time and place and take it to the ATF. If they do take it to the ATF for you, you should give them the car keys and appropriate identification so they can complete the scrapping procedure correctly at the ATF. You may also be asked to provide other documentation, such as the service history and latest MOT paperwork. The person scrapping your car for you should also arrange for you to receive a receipt or confirmation of the disposal of your car from the ATF. You can receive this either via email or by post.

About authorised treatment facilities

Anyone who is scrapping your car will have to use an ATF. These scrapyards have been approved and licenced by the Environment Agency and meet all safety and environmental standards. Only approved ATFs can issue legitimate certificates of destruction. Any certificates given by an unauthorised facility or scrapyard are void and you could still be liable for any vehicles that are not properly disposed of, including if they’re involved in an accident or illegal parking after being resold. It’s important therefore that you trust the person scrapping your car to take it to an appropriate scrapyard.

It’s against the law for someone to take your car for scrap anywhere other than an ATF and it’s also illegal for them to accept a cash payment. Acceptable payment methods include a cheque or bank transfer.

What else do I need to do?

Once your car has been taken for scrap, you’ll need to sign and keep your certificate of destruction for future reference. You’ll also need to cancel any outstanding insurance payments for that vehicle, and you should make sure that the DVLA issues you a refund for any outstanding road tax.

To summarise, when you ask yourself ‘can someone else scrap my car?’ the answer is yes, but only if they have the correct paperwork and identification. The strict rules now in place mean that it isn’t possible for someone else to scrap your vehicle without your permission. You can find out more about how the process works by visiting the www.gov.uk website.

Other related FAQs

Looking for more related content to this? We’ve picked a selection of related topics that you may find helpful

Yes, you can. Before your car is collected, you’ll need to ‘retain’ your registration with the DVLA; either online or through the post. Your registration will then be held on a retention certificate, ready to transfer to another car.

It’s illegal to sell a car with outstanding finance, so before you scrap a car you need to have paid off the outstanding finance amount. Technically, a car with outstanding finance is the lender’s property, not yours.

When a car is scrapped, any hazardous materials are removed, along with any parts considered harmful to the environment. Tyres will be removed for recycling, the car will then be crushed and separated into plastic, fibre and metal, and recycled.

The answer unfortunately is no. Once your MOT has expired you must get it renewed immediately. If you’re found to be driving without a valid MOT certificate, you could be fined up to £1,000.

Yes, our network of dismantlers can scrap vehicles that are registered in other countries. You’ll need to inform the governing body in the country that the car is from; usually by sending them the completed registration document.

To scrap your car legally, the three absolute musts are you must use an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), ensure your logbook (V5 certificate) is completed correctly, and, if the vehicle’s to be destroyed, obtain a CoD (Certificate of Destruction).

If you’re entitled to any unused road tax when you scrap your car, you should get in touch with the DVLA to reclaim it. Since tax discs were phased out, this can no longer be done at a post office – so you’ll need to contact the DVLA directly, either on the phone, by post, or using their website.

ATF stands for ‘Authorised Treatment Facility’ - another name for a scrap yard, breaker’s yard or vehicle dismantler that meets with strict government guidelines relating to the handling of scrap cars.

You can get in touch with your insurance company and cancel your cover after your car has been collected. If you cancel your insurance before collection, you’ll be breaking the law if you drive the car on a public road. -

No. It’s important that your car is free of rubbish and personal belongings - as our scrap partners are not equipped to deal with anything other than the car.